The Museum of Applied Arts is housed in one of the most representative Hungarian Art Nouveau buildings. Traditional Hungarian design elements merged with Islamic and Hindu motifs along with some Western European Art Noveau influence characterize the building. The museum, designed by architect Ödön Lechner and built between 1893 and 1896, is richly decorated with terracotta tiles made by the famous Zsolnay factory.The Museum of Applied Arts in Budapest was established in 1872 and it opened as the world’s third applied arts museum. The rich permanent collection includes Hungarian folk ceramics, medieval goldsmith works from the Esterházy-treasury, French furniture, Ottoman carpets, Baroque gold ware, Tiffany glass and Zsolnay ceramics. Temporary exhibitions range from 16th century costumes to contemporary design items.